Thursday, February 16, 2012

final blog


I would like to say that this unit helped me to become a better writer, but that is not the case. This unit helped me to become a better editor; of my own writings and others. In my past experience with peer editing I was complacent and lazy. I didn’t want to read other’s writings, much less critique them. Because this was my mindset, I would write “good” and make a few grammatical changes that didn’t help. Some days I would feel like a superior writer and tell them to make drastic changes because their essay was “bad.” The big takeaway from this unit is that I now feel I can give tips and analyze effectively. I look at the content more than the grammar, and remind myself that I am not here to tear their writing apart. With that said, I think I did a good job on my article. I’m very proud of it, and I got a lot of great feedback from the peer-review session. My conclusion was hard to write because I didn’t want to be redundant or biased. To prevent that, I kept it short and sweet. I was worried that writing the article would be tough, but once I got started I had all these ideas. Previous to this class I was unsure as how to conduct an interview, but the day we went over questions to ask really helped me. I started by asking a few questions, and then asked if they had anything they wanted to say and then the information started flowing. Once that happened, I was less nervous and the interview was less stiff.

3 comments:

  1. I agree completely. I also was the type of editor who would write litlle comments that really didn't help on my peers papers. After having two successful peer revision sesssions I too feel like I can analyze effectively. Last but not least, the interview tips that we went over in class also helped me as well to feel less nervous during my interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will totally agree with you I feel like this has made me a way better writer. I really feel like the Grassroots Writing Journal was a good article to talk about the best way to make revisions. I hated having to do revisions in high school also, it always just seemed pointless to me, but after reading the article I have definitely changed the way I do revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that being a "better writer" is pretty relative. As in, oftentimes, people think "good" writing involves the standard, academic format of English. Are you a better writer when it comes to newspaper articles? Absolutely. Keep in mind that I'm also giving you feedback on your writing done in your article, so that may help you become a "better writer" I suppose. I would like to see a little more expansion on some parts of your learning blog. While you give some brief overviews, I would like to see more of your learning process, etc. involved with this and what steps you took to get to certain places. For instance, explain your concept of "good writing" and why this didn't take place here. Talk more abou the peer review process, or really tell me why you like your ocnclusion. Simple surface comments aren't really enough.

    ReplyDelete