Thursday, February 23, 2012

Standard English



1. Standard English is correct grammar and sentence structure. It is "proper" English.
2. I think this variety of English became the standard during Shakespeare's time when writing and speaking eloquently was valued and was the norm for their culture.
3. I think being grammatically and structurally correct is important, but student's don't always write or talk in Standard English. I think students should write and speak in a way that is natural for them-not forced and always being corrected on every little mistake. Over time our English habits have changed. Non-formal English is acceptable in blogs or writings when a student's thoughts and opinions are being asked. Some papers, such as research papers, should be more formal if that is what they call for. 
4. "Good" writing doesn't always entail the same things. I think someone can be a good writer and have some grammatical mistakes. Good content is what's important. Writing is often thought of as being good if big words are used, but I think wordage can be used to distract from bad writing and faulty content. "Good" writing to me is passion within the writings, good, interesting content, and a logical flow of events/thoughts.
5. "Bad" writings are unorganized and the main points don't flow well. When big words are used so much that it distracts from the main point/content I don't consider that good writing.
6. I am always being corrected for my English (I end a sentence in a preposition or say me and Nicole instead of Nicole and I) and I find it annoying when I’m constantly being corrected when I just want to tell a story or say something quickly. My English is not what’s important if I’m trying to convey something- the message is. Because I am corrected so much I do pick up on others making the same mistakes, and I generally don’t correct them. Sometimes I do because I’m so used to being told I made a mistake. People don’t generally enjoy being told their wrong, and I feel like I’m being rude when I say “you mean with whom are you going.” Most people make minor mistakes, such as Nicole and me instead of Nicole and I and ending in a preposition.
7. In preparation for college, students should be writing blogs, articles, resumes, and research papers. They should experience writing a variety of genres so they have some general knowledge. I know it would have been helpful for me to have kept a blog in high school and to practice writing articles, because those are some of the things I do now.
8. Standard English can mean correct English, but it doesn’t have to. Like I said earlier, English has changed some and is evolving. Slang is very common these days, and the way the general population speaks isn’t always “proper”, but it isn’t wrong either. In Jackson’s article in Grassroots it is said that ending a sentence in a preposition never hurt anybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment