Wednesday, February 29, 2012

second half-way learning blog

We are starting this unit off with a group assignment-which I was weary of because the day we got with our groups half of the class wasn't there and I didn't understand what this project entailed. On Monday our whole group was there, and we went into more detail about the genre project, and it made much more sense. My group is meshing t-shirts and essays and we are testing people's reactions to our hybrid genre. To get to this research proposal, we first picked a genre that we deal with a lot of college: essays. While deciding how to tweak it we thought why not change how it's turned in? Turning in an essay on paper is standard-it's always been done that way. Turning an essay in on a t-shirt (which generally doesn't have a 500+ word message on it) was how we decided to change it. I'm really excited to see how different people react. I will wear the t-shirt around my dorm and outside of the classroom and two of the other group members will turn in an essay/homework assignment in on a shirt. Afterwords we will give out exit surveys asking what they thought about it and if they would ever consider turning in assignments on t-shirts or other means besides paper. I feel like I'm doing well with analyzing various genres and finding a good aspect of it to change. I think it's interesting how strictly we follow constraints and rules that aren't set in stone. One thing I seem to be struggling with is the learning blogs. The comments on my last two said I needed to be more descriptive and not just give surface comments. With this unit we have been focusing on genres, so I don't feel like I have as much to talk about as the past unit.

1 comment:

  1. It is definitely interesting how strictly we follow constraints... and here represents a great point for you to start from with this learning blog. This blog represents more of a "here's what we're doing" type blog instead of "where do I see myself" in all of this. In order to move past those "surface level" comments that I previously mentioned, you'll want to really place yourself in what you're doing. I see you everyday in class doing really great work (and working hard doing it). Describe to me more how you are learning to do research, what it was like writing a research proposal, what you think will be the hardest. We can talk about this if you still have questions.

    ReplyDelete