Sunday, February 5, 2012

half-way blog


Like I mentioned before, this class is very different from my high school English classes. It is not what I expected it to be, and I’m happy for that. It is not focused on writing a bunch of essays, but analyzing various genres that we come in contact with daily. Right now we are in the middle of writing our articles. So far, I have done my interviews, worked on my rubric, and analyzed my sources. For my interviews I talked to two girls from my floor who are preparing to participate in the Polar Plunge in Lake Bloomington later this month. In this class I have learned how to analyze my sources effectively and how to write something (a Facebook status, cover letter or business memo) based on its genre. If I know what each genre’s content standards are, I can become a better writer. Before the peer review session I had some questions about what the rubric needed to look like, but my questions were answered and I think I have a solid list of criteria. The peer review session was really helpful. Each member of my group included something different in their rubric, so I was able to expand mine. We also set our criteria up in different ways, and then picked the one that was most effective. I thought having a blog would be hard to manage, but I’m doing a good job of keeping up with my work and postings. Sometimes it’s overwhelming to have another internet account to keep track of. It seems like all of my classes require me to start a new account outside of Blackboard. Having a blog allows me to see how my fellow classmates are doing and I can keep track of assignments better when I have a hard copy and the blog to look back on. The written article isn’t due for a few more weeks, and I’m really excited to start writing it. Right now I feel I have a good grasp on where I want to go with it, and I look forward to seeing it all come together. I have some questions about the final draft of the article. I’m sure I can find the answers to my questions easily. I don’t know if I need pictures/visuals of those I am interviewing, and what the article needs to look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment